A Vegan Perspective

Jump to my first post to learn more about this project and why I as a Vegan have taken a particular interest.

Saturday 27 April 2013

Cogs In A Machine


I recently took this picture when I visited Yankalilla for the Leafy Sea Dragon Festival.  I’m not sure of the artist’s vision but for me it brought to mind the idea that animals are often treated as cogs in a machine.  In fact, there was a time in history when great minds (eg. Rene Descartes – read the gory details here) actually believed that animals were nothing more than very complex organic machines, incapable of feeling pain or at least not pain that was ‘morally relevant’.  Hmm... factory farming... vivisection... I guess history does repeat itself – you were wrong Neil Finn.

Do you believe pigs are capable of experiencing pain in the same way as humans?

No comments:

Post a Comment