A Vegan Perspective

Jump to my first post to learn more about this project and why I as a Vegan have taken a particular interest.

Thursday 18 April 2013

Something To Consider


I recently saw the film, Lincoln – which by the way I enjoyed, contrary to some bad reviews.  There is a moment when the white male American politicians are debating the abolition of slavery and they collectively voice their outrage at the suggestion that it could lead to blacks and women having the right to vote.  They were regarded in much the same way as animals are now ie. that they are less intelligent and therefore not entitled to equal rights.

It led me to consider how cultural beliefs can evolve and made me wonder how future generations will regard our treatment of animals.  Peter Singer says, “What one generation finds ridiculous, the next accepts; and the third shudders when it looks back on what the first did” and “If possessing a higher degree of intelligence does not entitle one human to use another for his or her own ends, how can it entitle humans to exploit non-humans?”

I'm interested in hearing some other opinions, so please share your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment